Thursday, December 16, 2010

Mark Hoppus talks new blink-182 album, Katamari, The Cure, & more

Thanks to 182online.com



Mark Hoppus took the time to answer questions from fans on his Facebook page this afternoon.

Full post after the jump.

He posted: I’m going to try this out. let’s do five questions. what you got?

In the end he answered a lot more than 5 questions, on topics ranging from the title of the new blink album to the first bass he ever played. You can check out all of his answers after the break.

favorite city to play? Every city and country is different for its own reason. And every show is different. Sometimes we’ll play the same city two nights in a row and they’ll be completely different from one another. I guess it depends on our performance and the energy from the crowd.
Name of the new blink album? Nothing has been decided yet. We usually wait until the last possible second and then choose a title on a whim.
Do you remember your appearance in American Pie? Yeah, that was a lot of fun. Cool people on the set, and we got to work with a monkey. I made up “go trig-boy, it’s your birthday.”
Will you be making another live album? Not sure about another live album, but in the blinkumentary there will be several live songs.
when are you going to announce tour dates in ireland?:) We just announced that we’re playing the Oxegen Festival next year.
who’s producing the new album since the passing of the almighty jerry finn? Right now it’s just us. we’re doing our own thing. not sure that anyone could replace Jerry Finn. he was the best, and we learned a great deal from him. i miss him every day. he was truly one of the greats. great producer, great friend.
On average how long is the process from coming up with the idea of a song to completing it? Lyrics, music, recording, etc. Every song is different. Some songs are done in a matter of hours. Dammit was like that. Some songs take longer. I agonized over the lyrics to Stockholm Syndrome for weeks, then woke up in the middle of the night with the whole thing in my head.
do you plan on ever making music outside of the pop-punk realm? I thought we did and have been, especially on the last album.
how much did you practice bass when growing up? every day. every chance i could.
What have the past 4 or 5 years been like since you guys split? Total crash, loss of identity, regaining identity, anger, frustration, forgiveness, anxiety, joy, realization, loss of dear friends, rebuilding of friendships.
is lettuce being used this album? almost exclusively. that bass always wins. only one bass ever came close, and i gave it away onstage at a show in san francisco.
Are you going to be producing any more bands? not right now. between blink-182 and A Different Spin, there’s no time. something would have to suffer. i’m busy as i can be lately. i’d be doing a disservice to any band i tried to work with.
How do you guys contantly keep your cool when waiting to start a show? I don’t. I’m backstage, ready to go, anxious to play, checking the clock, yelling “Let’s go!” I’m almost always the first one onstage. I hate waiting to play…
What do you think of Kanye’s new album? LOVE IT!!! Best album out in a long time.
Have you ever wanted to play guitar over bass? Nope. When I wanted to start playing music, I always wanted to play bass. It’s the bridge between the drums and guitar. It lays the foundation of the melody.
Did you teach yourself bass and were did you get your first bass? I taught myself bass, and subsequently have less-than-perfect technique. But I like the way I play. My first bass was given to me by my father, after I painted our house. It was a Mako bass. I don’t even know what that means. But I loved it and played it every day. It is now in a museum at Fender headquarters.
Are you serious about the fender being in the fender museum? Yes, they have a display there.
Was it fun having Ozzy Osbourne on your show? Yes, he was awesome. A total icon, and still totally down-to-earth and friendly. I did have a difficult time understanding what he was saying at times. I needed an english to english translator…
Is there any songs that sound like your Duderanch ones? Yes. I am working on a new track that sounds like ones off of Dude Ranch. Kind of reminds me of Apple Shampoo.
If you didn’t make it in the music business, what would you be doing right now? Before I dropped out of college to tour full-time, I was studying to be a professor of English Literature.
First absolute favorite band? The Cure
What do you like to do in your spare time when your out touring? I don’t understand your question. What is this “spare time” you speak of?
Who’s idea was it to have The Cure singer feature in your self-titled album? That was Tom. I think Travis had the idea to collaborate with someone and Tom suggested Robert Smith.
where can i get your white bass with the octopus on it ? There is only one. It is a Fender signature bass that my friend customized with the octopus logo.
which katamari game is better? one or two? One is the original. But it gets frustrating when I get stuck behind something and can’t get out easily. Two was great, but it’s the sequel…

No comments:

Post a Comment